20100220

February 20, 2010

February 20, 2010 at the Hague house. This is a day I knew would come.



It was 1 year ago today that Rich and I planned to close on the house, but didn't. Right around now we were at city hall talking to Tom the Zoning guy and finding out that we had to leave and couldn't even buy the house until we could fix a lot of stuff that was wrong with it -- stuff other people did with their incredible lack of care, insane sense of style and ridiculous repair methods. We wanted to fix all that -- on our own, that is. But that wasn't going to happen. This fairly big responsibility fell on us, too, because of a lack of knowledge (at least I hope that's all it was) of the local realtors and, well let's face it, the greediness that is the entity of the city of St. Paul. (Come to find out St. Paul is not that different from other greedy cities, but I won't mention names. Minneapolis.)


It was only 2 weeks later when we really did move in. The whole time, I knew it would happen. And I think that helped it happen quickly. Sometimes, the foundation of what you want has to be a 100% belief in it, and that is reeeaaaalllly hard to achieve, but a handful of times in my whole life, I've done it. And this was one of them. Since then got a dog, made all the necessary (and some unnecessary) repairs, made best friends with Menards, met a lot of neighbors, borrowed too much money, had fun, hosted Christmas, got another dog, and ... fast forward to today, with me sitting at the dining room table surrounded by dog #1, who i guess needs to go o-u-t, and dog #2, who is looking adorable as usual. I couldn't have known the details of this day - including the fact that it's a sunny day and the several feet of snow we've gotten this winter is (are?) finally melting, clearing the sidewalks of all that ice for the first time in weeks. Later I'll go to my first Gopher's basketball game to celebrate Gary's 40th birthday. And then I'll come home to the house we almost bought 1 year ago today.



No comments: